The year 2014 was a significant one in the history of St John’s House. In November, we applied for permission to renovate and extend the existing St John’s House to a 56-bed nursing home, which has been subsequently approved.
The existing building is a purpose-built nursing home dating from 1837 and although it has been home to many residents since its construction, it is now considered to be an appropriate time to re-develop the home to meet the standards and challenges of current times. Once completed, the new nursing home will have up-to-date facilities in a welcoming and caring environment. In the changes being made, the history, culture and atmosphere of St John’s House will not be forgotten and the new building will become a central part of the public life within the house.